Sunday, July 25, 2010

Day 1 and 2 ( Travel to ET)


Traveled 15 hours to ET. Many of you knew that I wasn't nervous about going to Africa, but that I WAS nervous about making that LONG plane ride. On our family trips to the beach 7 hours in a car about drives my bonkers. We haven't ever taken a vacation over 7 hours in a car because of me. The kids are fine but I drive Phil nuts and I just want to be OUT of the car! ha! Well, I am here to tell you that it really wasn't that bad.... at all! I was worried deep down inside that I would go on this trip and tell Phil that I just couldn't make this journey again (we have been considering adopting from here), but guess what? I am a PRO at traveling 15 hours in a plane! The plane was nice ( Ethiopian Airlines) and they literally feed and hydrate you every 3 hours. We had 3 meals, 2 snacks and naps in between so the time went quick! I watched Date Night (twice), The Bounty Hunter, The Last Song and an Ethiopian Reality Show on the plane so that helped too! Once we arrived and had to pull off ALL that luggage it really hit me that Philip wasn't there! Robby jumped in and took care of the luggage...he is really growing up!


We arrived at 7pm. When we all got outside there was one bus waiting to take all of us (22) and all of our luggage- two 50lb suitcases each PLUS carry on AND backpacks. I am not talking about an American like bus I am talking about a 1/3 the size of a greyhound peeps. Oh yeah, and it was raining. Our luggage went on TOP of the bus, secured with rope. We were laughing so hard. This was the beginning of how things are just sooo differnet here. On the way to the guest home I just kept waiting for a piece of luggage to fall off into the street! Ha! We arrived at our guest home and found our rooms. My floor ( 8 girls) were without electricity... it didn't matter so much - we were so exhausted! We grabbed a bed and got ready for bed with the help of a flashight! It felt just like camp! Robby stayed in a differnt house with the guys and of course he had electrictity and honestly much better accomodations than we did. I must admit I was a bit jealous.... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment