Saturday, June 5, 2010

"Living a Better Story".....Our Payne Family Blessings


Ok, we have been wanting to this for a while and I am just now getting around to figuring this all out. We thought it would be neat to update a journey that we are finding ourselves on, so here goes...........

A few months back our church handed us an envelope and enclosed was $35. They asked us to multiply the gift and then to give it away. The rules were it had to go outside the walls of our church. I knew immediately that I wanted to help Katie Davis with Amazima Ministries (kissesfromkatie.blogspot.com)! Our family organzied a garage sale ( collecting donations from friends and family) and the kids set up a breakfast stand! They sold sausage/biscuits and juice and we raised $563 for Katie's Ministry!



I had never met Katie at this point and did not know her personally but she is a young 21 year old mom from Brentwood, TN who now lives in Uganda, Africa. Her blog is some of the BEST reading I have ever read. My whole family has read her blog and we were all so moved by her strength, her love for Jesus and her love for Africa. Katie made me personally desire Africa. This is where all of a sudden raising money for her didn't seem to be enough.

This is where I started reaching out to the girls at 147 Million Orphans for guidance in the adoption process. 147 Million Orphans is a local non-profit led by 2 AMAZING women with a passion for creating awareness of the Orphan Crisis and they also assist those in fundraising for adoptions! They are truly amazing and between the 2 of them they have 13 kids! WOW, is all I can say! I have heard people say that "God laid something on their hearts" before but I truly have never experienced anything like it until NOW! Since early March I have been borderline obsessed with reading Katie's blog, the girls at 147 Million Orphans Blogs, Ordinary Hero's Blog, and the list goes on and on. I have read international adoption books, blogs, info on line, etc...I have contacted and researched adotpion agencies and I have read many, many books and online posts about the Orphan Crisis that exists!

The thought of a child not being tucked in at night, not having a parent or anyone in the world to care and love them, not having someone to tell them how smart and beautiful they are, not having anyone to show them the love that Jesus has for them just literally made my heart hurt. And YEARN... This is how our journey starts..... I have a loving husband who supports me and loves me to the end of the earth. I have 2 beautiful children that are becoming passionate about adoption and their willingness to give LOVE to someone they have never met-- someone that doesn't have a Forever family. I have a son who said he had a dream that he had a brother and that he was dark skinned.... This is where our journey starts and we are hungry for what tomorrow brings! Shout out to my grandma who taught me to "Put it in God's hands!" Well, grandma... I think I will do just that! We will just see what his plans are....

No comments:

Post a Comment